According to a recently published China e-cigarette national standard draft, here are some regulations worth noticing:
- The draft mainly regulates the contents of electronic cigarette devices, vape liquid, emissions. It is worth noting that the draft redefines our commonly known cartridges as “vape oil” which is the focus of the draft.
2. There are four requirements for electronic cigarette devices, including mechanical, electrical, physical, components, and chemical features.
Among them, it is worth noting that the specification requires that the vape oil container should be marked with the minimum and maximum scale, power, current, atomizer input maximum power (not exceeding 40W), and there are also deviation requirements, which is a test for the vape mods. And the protection mechanism of the accidental start-up and long working hours of the electronic cigarette also need to be marked.
3. The draft puts 13 test requirements for the battery of the electronic cigarette.
It mainly includes the test of the overall chemical properties of electronic cigarette devices, including the limitation of the hazardous material of lead, mercury, cadmium, hexavalent, chromium, polybrominated biphenyl polybrominated diphenyl ether and materials requirement for components contact with vape oil.
4. The draft has seven requirements for vape oil. They are General Requirements, Nicotine and Tobacco, Base Liquid, Electronic Tobacco Liquid Additive, Electronic Tobacco Liquid Additive Quality Requirements, Impurities, and Pollution Limits / Liquid Bottle Materials.
E-cigarettes must be produced in accordance with food safety standards and strict requirements on nicotine purity, glycerin, and water.
The purity of nicotine used in the liquid should not be lower than 99%, and the tobacco leaves used to extract nicotine should not be mildewed. The concentration of nicotine in the electronic cigarette liquid is not higher than 20 mg per ml, which is 2%, and now we usually use 3%-5%. (only 119 additives allowed)
At the same time, substances with special functions that claim to be healthy, refreshing and less harmful should not be used in electronic cigarette vape oil.
5. The total amount of nicotine in the bottle should not exceed 200mg. That is to say, if the maximum is 20mg per ml, the oil bottle should not exceed 10ml. If it is not added, it can be infinite. The materials used in the soot bottle, such as glass, must meet the requirements of the glass material in GB4806.5.
6. Electronic cigarette emissions technical requirements
The relative deviation between each test result of aerosol capture and the average value does not exceed 25%; the relative deviation of each test result from the average value of nicotine release is not more than 25%.
7. The vape oil will be packaged in accordance with the provisions of the draft, and the manual will also be uniformly formulated in accordance with the provisions of the draft.
8. Currently, there are three possible policies for the supervision of electronic cigarettes in China:
A, Similar to traditional cigarettes, and private enterprises are not allowed to enter. B, open to all with easy paper works. C, adopts a licensing (registration, licensing) system.
According to the current situation, Policy B is most likely to happen.
Impact of the draft on the e-cigarette industry
1. Product quality will be greatly improved.
2. Product cost will increase accordingly.
3. Extended product lunching time.
4. R&D level will continue to increase.
5. The demand for testing equipment will continue to increase, which will lead to the continuous development of testing technology.
Because the regulators are all from the tobacco bureau staff, the future of China’s e-cigarettes should be managed by the National Tobacco Bureau.
In addition, this specification is only applicable to vape, e-cigarette, Heat-not-Burn is not included. The standard for Heat-not-Burn tobacco is under development.